For more detailed information about your visit, the current feature exhibit, or outreach programs available, check out our Educator’s Guide.
How to Make a Reservation:
You can make a reservation by phone (423-928-6508, 423-928-6509, or 423-434-HAND ext. 100) or by submitting your information through e-mail at email@example.com and someone will be in touch with you. We recommend you make reservations at least three weeks in advance. A reservation is required for all groups of ten or more. Groups of 25 or more are required to visit the museum in a structured tour format, smaller groups may be self-guided, if desired. Reservations must be made in order to receive a group discount.
Please have the following information ready when you make a reservation:
- Group/School Name
- Contact Person
- Address and Phone Number
- Visiting Dates you are interested in
- Possible Arrival Times
- Age/Grade of Group
- Do you want your group to receive a showing of The Tesla Experience? (additional $2 per student, this program will substitute for a program in the Eastman Discovery Lab)
- Do you want to eat lunch at the Museum?
– You must bring your own food, the museum does not provide food
– Lunch at Hands On! will add thirty minutes to your stay
– Up to 20 children – $10, eating in the Welcome Room with tables and chairs
– 20 or more children – $25, in the ballroom
- # of Children
- # of Adult Chaperones
- # of Teachers/Group Leaders
- Time you would like to eat, if using our lunch facility
You will receive a written confirmation of your reservation. Please verify that all of the information listed is correct and bring this letter with you on the day of your visit. If we do not have a written confirmation of your reservation you may be charged the regular admission fee or denied entry based on capacity.
What to Expect During Your Group Visit:
If your group arrives by bus, a Hands On! staff member will greet your group at the drop off area (corner of Main St. and Colonial Way, see map below) to help unload the students. Staff will then lead your group to the entrance where they will enter and gather in our large group space. While staff reviews the five Hands On! rules with your group, a representative from your organization will complete any payments and receive any special instructions.
Once the rules are completed, your group will be divided into smaller groups of 15-25 students each. We make every effort to separate students by class, but depending on class and overall group size, classes may be divided or combined as needed. Students will then rotate in their small groups around the different areas of the museum in 15-25 minute rotations depending on the duration of the stay. In each rotation area, they will receive a program led by our Discovery Guide staff and time for organized free play. All programs are tied to the Tennessee State Curriculum standards.
Once students have rotated through the museum, your group will be escorted to the bus loading area.
Group tours are 1 1/2 hours long. Longer tours may be available upon request, at the time of reservation.
The Museum’s lunch facilities are available on a first come, first serve basis. Please let us know when you make your reservation if you would like to eat here. There is an additional charge for this service.
*** Please note if a student arrives with a group showing symptoms of illness, Hands On! will ask a teacher to stay with the student in a separate area of the museum until a parent arrives to take the child home. Please see our wellness guidelines for more information. ***
Prices and Payment Information:
To qualify for a group rate you must make a reservation and have at least 10 paying people in the group.
- Children ages 3 & older – $6.00
- A $1 discount is available for students who qualify for the free and reduced lunch program. Other discounts through grant funding may be available. Please ask at the time of your reservation.
- Teachers – free, 1 chaperone for every 5 children – free, additional chaperons – $6.00 each if they pre-pay
- Adults paying individually – $9.00
- Children 2 and younger – free
You may pay using a check, credit card (VISA, MasterCard), or purchase order.
Please note: a child with a family membership still must pay the regular group admission fee due to the additional programming they will receive.
Please make sure to bring the written confirmation of your reservation or you may be charged the regular admission rate.
Discount offers may be available, please ask when making your reservation.