- Drinking Straws
- Pipe Cleaners
- Container (make sure it is wide and deep enough to completely cover your bubble maker!)
- Bubble Mix
- 1 gallon distilled water
- 1 cup Original Dawn dish detergent
- 4-6 tablespoons glycerin
- Cut 6 straws in half. Make sure they are pretty even!
- Next, string 4 of the straws onto a pipe cleaner, making a square. You may have to twist 2 pipe cleaners together to make it long enough. You’ll need 2 of these!
- Use the remaining four straws to connect the squares together with pipe cleaners, forming a cube. You can even use a pipe cleaner to make a handle. Snip off the excess pipe cleaner, and your incredible bubble cube maker is now open for business!
- Fill up your container with bubble mix, fully submerge the bubble maker, and then slowly lift it out. You should see something that looks like a flat, square bubble inside. If not, give the cube a few shakes, and you should see the shape form.
- Using a clean straw, gently blow air into the very center of the bubble maker. Wow, can you believe it?! That’s what a bubble cube looks like! What other tricks can you invent?
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Bubbles always want to make the shape that uses the least surface area to trap air inside. That shape, ladies and gentleman, is a sphere! When we use the incredible bubble cube, the soap film will try to use the least surface area as possible while still connecting all of the sides…and that’s how we get a bubble cube!